Hey Kitty Kats,
Here’s an awesome interview with one half of the amazing duo running this blog, Kirsten Kennedy! She’s a rising senior majoring in Human Development and Psychological Services with a minor in Integrated Marketing Communications. Read on to learn more about her and her crazy curly journey.
How long have you been natural?
I’d say since late 2010.
What made you decide to go natural?
Well I was bored and perms were too expensive lol.
Describe your hair journey.
My hair was permed and styled in a bob but started breaking, so I cut it. I went through the Rihanna phase with short interesting hairstyles, but I got bored again, so I decided to go natural. When I went home the next month, around Dec 2010, I had my mom cut the perm off and got used to it, so I started growing it out. Around Spring Break I wanted my mom to cut it, but she cut it super short in the front. We both freaked out and went to the barber the next day who shaved all her hair off and dyed it…so I came back to school with super short, brown hair, and loved it for a very long time. It was still maintenance though, which was hard work. I’m now at the point where I’m exploring where my hair can take me in regards to lengths. I’m excited for where I’ll be this summer, next year, etc.
What are your go-to products?
1. Water in a spray bottle
2. Coconut oil from Whole Foods
3. Curls Unleashed product from Walgreens. I’m just trying it, but it detangles, is great for twist outs, and is really moisturizing for my hair.
What makes you choose to stay natural?
The expense…it’s not the biggest reason but it’s a factor - it’s cheaper! I also think natural hair is great…it’s me, Raw Kirsten. I just think it looks better and is more fitting for me to have natural hair than when I had perms…there’s nothing wrong with perms/weaves, but it think natural is more becoming on me…now I’m like hey, I love it!
Describe your hair for us!
It’s thick, coarse I guess too. I tried to figure out the classification but I don’t know what it is…some parts are 4a and some are like, a 4z haha!, but that’s pretty much the sides. The top will curl but the sides are like, Don King….I’ve embraced every inch of it.
Who is your favorite blog/vlogger/naturalista?
· Colored Beautiful - Youtube; She used to have perms but decided to go natural. She does makeup, dyes her hair, and other fun things.
· MyNaturalSistas on YouTube are three sisters that are natural and blog together, tons of great stuff from them!
What is your favorite hairstyle?
I am in LOVE with my newly discovered twist-out. It’s my new fave, preferably when it’s a day or two old.
What is one tip/insight you’d like to share with others?
Take risks! It’s hair, it grows back. I’ve been basically bald with like….short short hair, almost a fade! Honestly, if my mom hadn’t cut my hair, it wouldn’t have been that short. Take risks!!
I encourage people (if you’re going natural) to talk to your friends. If you’re natural look at videos, you can spend hours getting lost in them, but it’s wonderful exploration. Now I get to see new things from a new perspective and it’s great.
Posted on Saturday, 12 May
Tagged as: kirsten co-blogger natural naturalista natural hair interview
- teewrexxx likes this
- beautifulblackkqueen likes this
- blangus1 likes this
- afrodesiacworldwide reblogged this from sourvixen
- afrodesiacworldwide likes this
- trecentric likes this
- amberraeplz reblogged this from 18-15n-77-30w
- lavenderrrjane likes this
- jayy720 reblogged this from 18-15n-77-30w
- thethinman20 likes this
- ericashenee reblogged this from mercedesnechelle
- kueleza likes this
- missmisha777 reblogged this from 18-15n-77-30w
- jellyistschokolade likes this
- aiconthegod likes this
- oddlyclad reblogged this from 18-15n-77-30w
- usaynappylikeitsabadthing likes this
- mrsyayra reblogged this from 18-15n-77-30w
- mailife likes this
- cheecheefourchange likes this
- commonright reblogged this from 18-15n-77-30w
- commonright likes this
- mercedesnechelle reblogged this from 18-15n-77-30w
- kylerellisa reblogged this from 18-15n-77-30w
- jayy720 likes this
- 18-15n-77-30w reblogged this from kinkyandproud and added:
- lisablaq reblogged this from naturalhaireverything
- mahoganysummers likes this
- killthehypocrisy likes this
- therealnkc likes this
- lisablaq likes this
- neoafrican likes this
- ilovemynaturalhair reblogged this from naturalhaireverything
- pixelsnplay likes this
- sankofa-beautiful likes this
- itwasbyaccident likes this
- astoldbywesley likes this
- uprootedreality likes this
- queen-nuba likes this
- bellacrimsonrose reblogged this from naturalhaireverything
- essenceofambition reblogged this from naturalhaireverything
- myownsweetescape likes this
- methebushandus likes this
- leenylynn likes this
- youlovetia reblogged this from naturalhaireverything
- youngblackandvegan reblogged this from kinkyandproud and added:
- kinkyandproud reblogged this from naturalhaireverything
- whatevercheyenne reblogged this from naturalhaireverything and added:
- naturalhaireverything reblogged this from twasftw
- pleaseapictureoflove likes this